Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Day of Pampering...

I have not had a manicure in probably a year and it has been at least 6 months since I had a pedicure. I can't even remember the last time I had a facial. I decided to splurge and have a day of pampering, including a massage.

I found an advertisement in a free local English magazine called "El Ojo Del Lago." It translates literally to "the eye of the lake," but I think if also means "The Lake through the Ages," which is in the subtitle.  I sent an e-mail to the salon and got a phone call to make an appointment.

I took the bus early, so I would have time to eat breakfast. I knew I would be in the salon for a minimum of 4 hours. At 10 a.m. I showed up and was ready to be pampered.

Alma, the salon owner, met me with a smile. She was originally born in Mazatlan, but spent 25 years in Guadalajara. She still owns a home there. In Ajijic, she has a house behind the salon. Her daughter lives in Los Cabos and her son lives in Guadalajara. Both of her children have children.

Alma said she studied English for 2 years at the University in Guadalajara, but when she opened her salon, she couldn't speak a word. She said she has learned English from her clients. She speaks very good English. She was even teaching me some Spanish. I know some Spanish words to read them, but I can't understand it spoken, because they speak too fast. My brain doesn't process it quickly enough.

I had the best pedicure that I've ever had. Since I've been down here, my finger nails have grown and she actually had something to work with. In the States, my nails are soft and break all the time. I also got a facial and a wonderful massage. 

I was there for 4 1/2 hours. In the States, a 50 minute massage is usually between $65-$95. I paid 690 pesos (approx $51 US) for the manicure, pedicure, facial AND massage. What a bargain!







The door to the right of this shop is the entrance to the salon which is on the 2nd floor.









Here is a photo of the 2nd floor balcony. When I talked to Lauri, she said she had taken her mother to the same salon and she also thought Alma was excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment