Saturday, April 4, 2009

Gallery Shows

Lauri and her friend, Barbara, picked me up about 4:30 p.m. We went to two gallery showings.

The first one was in Chapala. It was a gallery opening and a big doings. There were speeches (in Spanish, of course) and a ribbon cutting. I think we were the only Gringos there. If I got my story correct, this gallery displays the wares of about 75 Mexican families in the area. Lauri's friend, Jose, was displaying his natural soaps, that he makes, and jewelry, that he also makes. He makes a lot of his own glass beads, if I'm not mistaken.

When we  first walked into the gallery, there was a staircase leading to the 2nd floor and the Mariachis lined the stairs. It was quite impressive. I didn't get a picture of them on the stairs, but here are a few of them playing in one of the display rooms.

Barbara and Lauri are checking out the carved statues that were displayed.


From here, we went to Ajijic to another gallery showing at the Cultural Center where Lauri knew one of the artists in the showing. He is a young 16 year old Mexican boy who does paintings in different mediums. I got distracted and didn't get any pictures of his work. However, I did get pictures of this artist's work. He would take body molds of live women and then paint the molds. I only posted a couple here, but I thought they were beautiful.





When we walked into the Cultural Center, these young women below were standing there displaying the paper works of another artist. This is living art. These 2 women are dressed in only magazines. All of their clothes are paper. The picture on the right is the back of the young woman in the front (in the other picture.)

After we left the Cultural Center, we went next door and had dinner.






















No comments:

Post a Comment